How You Know She Is Your Best Friend
I have the BEST best friend ever. We met when we were 11-years-old, and we have never been mentally apart, even if we were physically. Here is how I know she is my one and only:
- We had the same hair when we met. She skipped down the street towards me and told me she liked The Doors. I thought she was rad.
- We would make up synchronized swim routines to show off to the hunky local pool lifeguards.
- We started smoking together.
- We started inhaling together, and thought it felt soooo coool.
- We made potions out of dirt, sticks and poison berries and left them in sheds for my family to find.
- Marshmallows bound us together forever.
- We wrote letters to each other EVERY DAY. After spending the whole day together. Letters about our day.
- We read to each other in trees (Phantom Valley books. Anyone remember those?)
- A Cavalier was our Eutopia (my sister owned a Cavalier and we spent our lives in it from the ages of 14-16).
- We snuck into a Baptist church to hear the choir sing and laughed like apes when we were scolded for chewing gum.
- My So-Called Life was OUR lives.
- We asked my sister to borrow her car to go on a short drive and drove it really far to the beach at night. And Ciara let me drive. Without a license.
- Our minds were melded many MANY times as youngsters who liked to dabble, kna'mean?
- Our favorite kind of gum was 'ghost gum'. Made from marshmallows and our grubby little fingers wooshing and smooshing to turn it into the consistency of gum. Kind of.
- Remember the Flinstones? Dino would make a sound when he would crunch down on a bone. Ciara and I can mimic that sound while burping. These are forever called 'Dino Crunch Burps'.
- When we are together, all we do is laugh like maniacs. We turn into best friend snobs where no one else matters except for us.
- When I 'broke' my rib, she 'broke' her boob in sympathy.
- I once thought I was squeezing her elbow in the dark. I was really squeezing her boob. She did not scold me or call me a perv. Gotta love a woman like that.
- She is River Pheonix and I am Wil Wheaton in Stand By Me.
- I would take a bullet for her. I would move the world to get to her if i needed to.
We should get a room, I know. But she is a constant in my life, and I lerve her. Also, I am watching The O.C. right now and feeling like a tool because I am getting all weepy. If she was here, she would be too.
Now that's love.