After HATING perfumes for most of my life because of allergies, I have just started getting into scents that work for me; because they aren't perfum-y, flowery concoctions of hell (sorry to those who love scents like that *AHERM KRISTA!*). I am not denying heavy scents don't smell good, they just kill me. So I have started wearing lighter body sprays that fade before you even leave the house so that you just get a hint of peppermint (my scent of choice).
I stumbled upon this site called The Library of Fragrance, and holy crap they have so many seemingly awesome and some exceptionally weird scents that I want to smell so badly! Here are a few that I found umm, interesting, and a few I may have to order because well....Christmas. I'll put a star beside the ones I want to try, and I will also add the scent description from the website. And none of this is sponsored, I wish!
1. Black Pepper- "Black pepper’s pungent bite comes from the alkaloids – piperine and piperidine, combined with resins found mostly in the seeds. Its aromatic, slightly musty odour comes from the volatile oils found largely in the flesh and skin. These are the oils that go into creating our Black Pepper fragrance, capturing the ‘just cracked’ scent of the peppercorn".
2. *Christmas in New York- "If you’ve ever been to New York at Christmas you’ll know that this is a special time in a special place – with a unique scent all of its own. Transport yourself there with this Cologne that blends the scents of rich and festive spices, sweet apples and the comforting aroma of warm, roasting chestnuts, to perfectly capture this moment in time".
3. Dirt- "Smelling exactly as it sounds, our Dirt fragrance is an earthy scent that’s instantly grounding and is surprisingly wearable, bizarrely addictive and strangely sexy on both men and women. It also makes a fool-proof pairing with any other fragrance that’s inspired by something that grows from the ground – whether floral, fruity, herbal or green. Beautiful".
4. *Fireplace- "The Library of Fragrance has captured a small part of this tradition, with the wonderful, comforting scent of the fireplace on a cold winter’s evening. It smells exactly like your jumper after sitting for hours in front of a roaring wood-burning fire".
5. Fresh Hay- "They tell us to ‘make hay while the sun shines’ and goodness, there is hardly a sunnier scent than this. Reminiscent of long, bright days in the country, our Fresh Hay fragrance is sweet, fresh and earthy – just like the bales rolled in the meadow".
6. *Gingerbread- "Gingerbread has been baked in Europe for centuries. In some places, it’s a soft, delicately spiced cake; in others, a crisp, flat biscuit. Whatever its form, however, it’s almost always cut into shapes of men, women, stars or animals, and colorfully decorated – and it’s always, always delicious".
7. Holy Water- "We have fond fragrant memories of church and the blended scents of the porcelain font, ozone scented water and the aged-oak pews made us want to capture this scent, in a wearable fragrance form. Imagine an old European church, in a small town off the beaten track. Our Holy Water fragrance is the scent of the blessed water you might find there in an old stone font".
8. *Mistletoe- "Whilst sweet in sentiment, our Mistletoe is, conversely, an intensely green, unisex fragrance that will transport you to a crisp winter’s day in the heart of an evergreen forest. Who knows, you might even find yourself a kiss whilst you’re there…"
9. *Paperback- "The Library of Fragrance ‘Paperback’ Cologne celebrates our love affair with literature, with a backdrop of milky-vanilla sweetness, joined by delicate woody facets and just a touch of must and dust".
10. Pipe Tobacco- "Health considerations aside, Sherlock was onto a good thing, at least scent-wise. There are generations of us who are instantly reminded of much loved grandpas, dads and uncles at the scent of a good pipe. Our Pipe Tobacco fragrance is rich, deep, moist and pungent. With touches of both sweetness and spice. It’s everything you could ask for from a fine tobacco accord".
11. *Pumpkin Pie- "Our Pumpkin Pie fragrance somehow bottles the memories of childhood laughter in the air, with warm drifts of pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and cloves wafting out of the kitchen".
12. Salt Air- "Whilst many of The Library of Fragrances are single note scents, Salt Air is a little more complex in its structure. This fresh fragrance has a revitalizing, airy tone, over notes that are reminiscent of post-beach salty skin, including sea salt, calone, musk and amber".
13. *Snow- "After years of effort, we were able to capture the essence of snow in a chilling, cool, clean and fresh scent, with just a touch of dust (necessary to form flakes) and earth (upon which to rest). The Fragrance Foundation USA recognised this unique fragrance as the Best Fragrance in America in 2000, awarding Snow two FiFi Awards – the fragrance version of an Oscar".
14. *Thunderstorm- "Our Thunderstorm fragrance captures this complex sensory moment perfectly – with a hint of electricity in the air, just as the rain drops start to fall from the sky, hitting the concrete and churning the earth. Like poetry, Thunderstorm is subtle and difficult to define, but real – reflecting the deep and violent nature of a summer storm".
15. Pizza- "Pizza is a departure even for us, stretching the boundaries of the concept of wearable fragrance. But we just felt we had to try, and we do believe we might have succeeded. Our Pizza fragrance smells like rich tomato sauce, creamy mozzarella, fresh-baked dough and a touch of oregano; it’s perfectly balanced for the adventurous. We must warn you, however, that it will most likely make you – and everyone around you – hungry".
These are only a very small portion of the scents they have. Check them all out here if you want! Some of these I would love to smell like, some not so much. Would you wear any of the stranger scents? What would your favorite be?